Saturday 7 January 2012

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories

The Bloody Chamber - "I caught sight of myself in the mirror...I saw how much that cruel necklace became me."

Puss-in-Boots - "I could wish, though, they'd dance a little faster;"

The Company Of Wolves - "Lift up the latch and walk in, my darling."

Cover


So, it would seem it's been a while since I last posted. However, finally I can show you what I have been working on!

For the last couple of months I have been working on the House of Illustration's competition in association with the Folio Society, to design 3 illustrations and a cover for Angela Carter's 'The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories'. Having first read this in my second year at university I was really happy this was the book chosen to illustrate as I was already familiar with the subject. Naturally, it's never as simple as it first seems, and with the added obstacles of a full time job, settling into my new house and sorting out the studio, and the inevitable trip down to the Isle of Wight for Christmas, it's been a bit of a push to get it done in time! However, I have, and I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the results, especially as the actual linocuts were completed from start to finish in this last week. Of course, working repeatedly until 3am and then having to get up for work at 7am tends to put a little bit of a strain on the body. Nonetheless, I'm rather pleased with the final images. Let me know what you think!

Fingers crossed!

x

6 comments:

Victoria Stitch said...

wow Ben these are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Nice to see that you're still doing lots of illustration as well! good luck with the competition! i hope you win!

Finn Clark said...

Hey Ben. Thanks for your comment. You've done a whole bunch of great stuff since I last had a look on here. I like the compositions of the last two especially. Best of luck with the competition! Don't work too hard :)

illustration poetry said...

i love the one with the cat!!!
wishing you good luck ok ;)

xo

Paula said...

Hi!

I've just discovered your blog in my search for pictures of The Bloody Chamber for a review of the short story I'm working on. I hope you won't mind my including your illustrations in the review, which will be published very shorty in this blog (I'm sorry, we write in Spanish): http://unlibroaldia.blogspot.com Needless to say, your amazing work will be properly credited! :-)

Great job!!!

Regards,
Paula

Benedict Mayer said...

Thanks guys :)

Paula, that's great! I'd be honoured for you to include my illustrations :)

Paula said...

This is it! http://unlibroaldia.blogspot.com.es/2012/04/zoom-la-camara-sangrienta-de-angela.html

Thank you very much :-)

Paula